[ga] Re: is ICANN or is ICANN not?

On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 11:35:36AM +0100,
 Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote
 a message of 37 lines which said:

> Well, you and Elisabeth know much more of the real story, but I am
> under the impression that this is one of the cases in which we sort
> of "twisted the arm" of ISO, in order to regularize a de-facto
> situation.

It was also the case for ".gg" or ".je", added in ISO 3166 long after
they've been in the root. Whatever the Internet legend may say, Jon
Postel never followed his own (excellent) rules.

> Shall I assume therefore that CS is no longer in the root?

No need to assume, you can check:

% dig a.root-servers.net ANY cs.

(NXDOMAIN = No such domain)

%  whois -h whois.iana.org CS
Domain cs. not found.  Please note that this whois server
only provides information for a very few domains.