RE: [ga] is ICANN or is ICANN not?

  • To: "'Kim Davies'" <kim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] is ICANN or is ICANN not?
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 11:35:36 +0100
  • Cc: "'Karl Auerbach'" <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'ga'" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Kim Davies wrote:

> UK is actually a valid ISO 3166-1 code. It is what is known
> as an "exceptionally reserved code element", which allows it
> to be used by users of the ISO 3166-1 standard.

Well, you and Elisabeth know much more of the real story, but I am under the
impression that this is one of the cases in which we sort of "twisted the
arm" of ISO, in order to regularize a de-facto situation.
Another similar case is the EU, that was inserted as a step to allow
creation of the corresponding TLD.

> The only codes that are marked as unusable by the standard,
> which are still in the root zone today, are SU, TP and YU.

Shall I assume therefore that CS is no longer in the root?

> The language from the ISO 3166 MA is that users of ISO-3166
> should stop using codes for retired countries "ASAP". Time is
> given for an orderly transition, so there is no need to
> instantaenously drop a domain.
> Instead measures should be taken to decommission the codes
> usage in a reasonable period of time.
>
> Traditionally this has meant freezing the domain so no new
> registrations can be made, and providing a migration path for
> registrants to the relevant new jurisdiction(s).

That was my understanding as well.
And from the latest message from Karl, I believe he thinks the same, so it
was just a misunderstanding.

Thanks,
Roberto