Re: [ga] North American Regional Registry/Registrar Gathering

  • To: Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] North American Regional Registry/Registrar Gathering
  • From: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 16:04:48 -0800
  • Cc: "'Danny Younger'" <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, "'ga'" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Roberto Gaetano wrote:

The information that I have is that this is an informational meeting with NA
registries and registrars, to exchange opinions and to allow these
constituencies to meet also the ICANN staff that they normally don't during
the official ICANN meetings.

I get the impression from reading what has been posted that there is a sense among those who are registries or registrars that the meeting will be about their relationship and not be of interest to others.

That may well be true.

However, the members of the community of internet ought to be able to look for themselves - and be bored if the registries and registrars prove right. And nobody is saying that these meetings are closed to someone who just shows up, right?

But I'd also like to mention that the 5-day grace (tasting) issue has its roots (bad pun intended) in the registry/registrar relationship. And so does the factual basis, if any, for the huge fiat registry fees that ICANN permits registries to charge.

I personally don't feel comfortable about ICANN subsidies for meeting attendance - but given how deeply ICANN has scrod the community of internet users, it seems that a few token dribbles might be possible - particularly when we remember that ICANN has established expensive field offices around the world for no purpose more substantial than the desire to "show the flag".

		--karl--