RE: [ga] RE: Whois more in detail

  • To: "'ga'" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] RE: Whois more in detail
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 22:55:07 +0100
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Karl,

> This is a quasi-business license.  It does much of what is
> wanted.  And it requires no governmental body or single agency.
>
> And it does not expose the privacy of those who are not
> sufficiently engaged in commerce on the net as to require an
> SSL certificate.
>
> The difficulty is that SSL certs are not inexpensive.

Indeed, this is the problem, but I believe that this is the good direction.
I don't think that the cost of the certification is justified by the raw
costs of the operation, it is a market value. And probably, if some form of
certification is established for websites, the large numbers of potential
customers of this service could justify a substantially lower price.

For sure if we had this form of certification for ecommerce websites, or a
similar one, the need for having detailed information in the WhoIs would be
dramatically reduced. The problem is that this approach has to come as a
self-organizing process from the ecommerce business community, and is not an
area in which ICANN has, nor should have, any influence.

Cheers,
Roberto