RE: [ga] RE: Whois more in detail

  • To: Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>, "'ga'" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] RE: Whois more in detail
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 17:14:56 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The hoops and hurdles necessary to get cardservices type of verification and validation and license seems to me to be the business community's way of dealing with this issue.
  It always seemed to me they were a bear to keep happy and complaints/chargebacks and the like roots out the vast majority of ecommerce fraud types.
  Am I wrong about that?

Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Karl,

> This is a quasi-business license. It does much of what is
> wanted. And it requires no governmental body or single agency.
>
> And it does not expose the privacy of those who are not
> sufficiently engaged in commerce on the net as to require an
> SSL certificate.
>
> The difficulty is that SSL certs are not inexpensive.

Indeed, this is the problem, but I believe that this is the good direction.
I don't think that the cost of the certification is justified by the raw
costs of the operation, it is a market value. And probably, if some form of
certification is established for websites, the large numbers of potential
customers of this service could justify a substantially lower price.

For sure if we had this form of certification for ecommerce websites, or a
similar one, the need for having detailed information in the WhoIs would be
dramatically reduced. The problem is that this approach has to come as a
self-organizing process from the ecommerce business community, and is not an
area in which ICANN has, nor should have, any influence.

Cheers,
Roberto

 with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.