Re: [ga] Can live without .asia

Dear George,
this time I think you posted two oddities. Not usual, but Karl and Danny too. So let me tease you all :-)

At 19:38 29/08/2006, George Kirikos wrote:
Indeed, for a registry that purportedly targets the audience of
internet users in Asia, does it make any sense at all that they chose a
TLD string that is in the ENGLISH language???!!!???

Where did you pick that "asia" was an English string? like "euro"? or like ".cat"?

In the event that the registry is a "failure", there should be a
mechanism in the contract to permit ICANN to delete the TLD from the
root in the future. There should be predefined numeric metrics as to
what constitutes "success", e.g. 1 million+ domain names registered by
the end of the term of the contract, with a certain percentage (at
least 1%) of the global internet traffic going to domains in that TLD.
It's typical ICANN "old school" thinking to not define success metrics
before something is implemented, and then declare things a "glorious
success" later, without reference to any benchmarks.

I see no difference here between being stolen my domain name because George Kirikos' metrics are not fullfiled or because Verisign wants to charge me $ 100.000 a year. A TLD Manager is the trustee of the TLD registrants, not the registrants dependant on the TLD Manager. Except in ICANN's philosophy.

Danny:
Should this TLD be deemed a failure and retired, or
should the contract be rebid with yet another operator
given an opportunity to make a go of it?

Knowing ICANN [sigh], this TLD will probably be resold
again without any public input into the process.

Have the registrants suffered from the process or not?

Karl:
If we're carving up the world along geographic or cultural lines (.cat, .asia), then I guess we ought to have .pacifica for the region composed of California (Baja and Alta), Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia. That represents a chunk of world economic power that is up there in the top 4 or 5 and has at least as much cultural consistency as does Asia (whatever one uses for its boundaries.)

as much cultural consistency as does Asia?
I know there are some scholars and archeological searches in British Columbia ...

Don't you think that .pacifica (or .pac) could also involve Chile, New-Zealand, Australia, Noumea, Hawaï, Philipina, Malaysia, Viet-Nam, Japan, China, Russia, Alska, Tahiti, Peru, Equator, Tuvalu, etc. etc. ?

www.picisoc.org
Take care.
jfc