Re: [ga] Can live without .asia

You left out Pitcairn Island. :)
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: JFC Morfin
  To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Cc: Franck Martin
  Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 5:41 AM
  Subject: Re: [ga] Can live without .asia

  Dear George,
  this time I think you posted two oddities. Not usual, but Karl and
  Danny too. So let me tease you all :-)

  At 19:38 29/08/2006, George Kirikos wrote:
  >Indeed, for a registry that purportedly targets the audience of
  >internet users in Asia, does it make any sense at all that they chose a
  >TLD string that is in the ENGLISH language???!!!???

  Where did you pick that "asia" was an English string? like "euro"? or
  like ".cat"?

  >In the event that the registry is a "failure", there should be a
  >mechanism in the contract to permit ICANN to delete the TLD from the
  >root in the future. There should be predefined numeric metrics as to
  >what constitutes "success", e.g. 1 million+ domain names registered by
  >the end of the term of the contract, with a certain percentage (at
  >least 1%) of the global internet traffic going to domains in that TLD.
  >It's typical ICANN "old school" thinking to not define success metrics
  >before something is implemented, and then declare things a "glorious
  >success" later, without reference to any benchmarks.

  I see no difference here between being stolen my domain name because
  George Kirikos' metrics are not fullfiled or because Verisign wants
  to charge me $ 100.000 a year. A TLD Manager is the trustee of the
  TLD registrants, not the registrants dependant on the TLD Manager.
  Except in ICANN's philosophy.

  Danny:
  >Should this TLD be deemed a failure and retired, or
  >should the contract be rebid with yet another operator
  >given an opportunity to make a go of it?
  >
  >Knowing ICANN [sigh], this TLD will probably be resold
  >again without any public input into the process.

  Have the registrants suffered from the process or not?

  Karl:
  >If we're carving up the world along geographic or cultural lines
  >(.cat, .asia), then I guess we ought to have .pacifica for the
  >region composed of California (Baja and Alta), Oregon, Washington,
  >and British Columbia.  That represents a chunk of world economic
  >power that is up there in the top 4 or 5 and has at least as much
  >cultural consistency as does Asia (whatever one uses for its boundaries.)

  as much cultural consistency as does Asia?
  I know there are some scholars and archeological searches in British
  Columbia ...

  Don't you think that .pacifica (or .pac) could also involve Chile,
  New-Zealand, Australia, Noumea, Hawa?, Philipina, Malaysia, Viet-Nam,
  Japan, China, Russia, Alska, Tahiti, Peru, Equator, Tuvalu, etc. etc. ?

  www.picisoc.org
  Take care.
  jfc