Re: [ga] Veni, Vidi, Wiki

Karl and all former DNSO GA members or other interested stakeholders/users,

Good point but it only goes so far.  Indeed the written word as in email
is often misconstrued and/or misunderstood.  However the direct
questions ask of first Veni, and than any other ICANN BoD member
were clear, simply posed and easily understood.  So there was and remains
no good reason for those questions to not be answered and remain so
to those whom were ask same.  Obviscating responses to such direct
and simply posed as well as easily understood questions is acting
intentionally
in a misleading and irresponsible manner.   I believe this is why George
has further responded as he has.

Karl Auerbach wrote:

> Let's not be to harsh.  Being on ICANN's board is rather a difficult act
> of juggling.
>
> When I was on the board I found myself in a rather strange position -
> although I could speak for myself I could not speak for the corporation.
>   This meant that I had to be very careful to make it clear that I was
> offering *my* opinion and *my* perspective and *my* intention.  And in
> my online "diary" of what I had done on the board I was careful to try
> to indicate what I had done and not what others had said or opined.
>
> I felt quite it rather odd to be in a position in which I was called
> upon to try to articulate the internet needs and goals of nearly
> 400,000,000 people.
>
> Electronic discussion is a very dangerous art - a few slips of the
> keyboard and people get angry or read things into text that were not
> intended.  And once people start to get these kinds of perceptions, it
> is very hard to bring the discussion back into focus.  Direct
> face-to-face talks are far less likely to go awry.
>
> And we speak many different languages.  We need to always remember that
> not all of us use English with perfection, so we ought to always beware
> that our words might be misunderstood, or that the connotations might be
> rather different.
>
> That's why these e-mail discussions need to be taken slowly, with lots
> of interaction to ensure that we really understand one another.  That
> can be frustrating, and people may feel as if they are being attacked
> when it is merely an attempt to clarify a point.  So it is important to
> be gentle.
>
> These kinds of things are hard - I know that I violate these precepts
> far too often.
>
> What we really need is for there to be ICANN meetings that have
> absolutely no business content - the sole purpose should be for us to
> get together, meet face-to-face, share meals and good wine (for those
> who drink alcohol), and otherwise get to know the people behind the
> email addresses.  (We'd probably discover that we somehow managed to
> accomplish a lot of business without really trying.)
>
>                 --karl--

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827