Re: [ga] Veni, Vidi, Wiki

  • To: karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx, gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Veni, Vidi, Wiki
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <ploki_xyz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 21:34:14 +0000
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Karl Auerbach wrote:

What we really need is for there to be ICANN meetings that have absolutely no business content - the sole purpose should be for us to get together, meet face-to-face, share meals and good wine (for those who drink alcohol), and otherwise get to know the people behind the email addresses. (We'd probably discover that we somehow managed to accomplish a lot of business without really trying.)

And music. Don't forget music.
Years ago, I think it was on this very list, we found out that there were several amateur musicians, and we floated an idea about a musical get-together. It never happened. Maybe the history of the net would have been different....

Being serious, this is a real problem. On one hand, we (I'm saying this in the broad sense, I personally did not do much for this to happen) have built the internet to be a means of communication that would have allowed people to get in touch without having to physically move from their place. On the other hand, as my wife correctly pointed out ("You have never been travelling so much before joining that internet thing"), face-to-face is still an essential part of the game.
However, some messages in the past on this list were proposing doing all business online, why on earth do we need (expensive) physical meetings? I fully agree that the face-to-face meetings are expensive, but I agree with Karl that they are necessary to go forward.

Cheers,
Roberto