[ga] Veni, Vidi, Wiki

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] Veni, Vidi, Wiki
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 18:14:33 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello,

I find the arrogance of Veni's most recent post quite hilarious:

acting somehow superior to others on the list. He even "called me out"
in a prior post, seeking my credentials, which I was up to the
challenge to provide:

and noted that many on the GA list have far superior knowledge and
experience on certain internet topics than Board members. ICANN Board
Members (and staff, for that matter) have no monopoly on expertise and
intelligence. That's why we are supposed to have a "bottoms up
consensus process", so that great ideas can flow from the mass of
people and expertise contributing from the bottom, with the best ideas
rising to the top.

However, as a final demonstration of Veni's lack of knowledge of
internet experience, take a peek at his Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veni_Markovski
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Veni_Markovski&action=history

(archived at http://www.loffs.com/images/veni1.pdf and
http://www.loffs.com/images/veni2.pdf in case the originals
"disappear")

Apparently, he created the page about himself, and has been self
editing it. I do not have a Wikipedia account myself, and have no
desire to create one. But even I am aware that autobiographical pages
are considered a breach of Wikipedia Guidelines:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:AUTO

"It is a faux pas to write about yourself, according to Jimmy Wales,
Wikipedia's founder."

Here's a lesson for you Veni -- you can't be an "internet expert", and
not know some of the basics like that kind of netiquette. You've been
dismissive of others through your posts of the past couple of days.
I've correspondended with other Board members who show a much higher
degree of respect towards others and their insights than you have
demonstrated.

You owe an apology to folks like NameCritic who invested time to
contribute their valuable expertise to improving ICANN policy, but who
you brushed aside:

You actually think that you have no lessons to learn from people on
this list? Take a moment away from writing up self-aggrandizing
autobiographies on Wikipedia, in violation of their guidelines, and
seriously reflect upon whether your attitude has been hurting ICANN, or
helping it. Learn some humility.

According to your blog, you do not intend to continue your Board tenure

http://blog.veni.com/?p=92

which ends at the upcoming Annual Meeting. Perhaps you should take a
play out of the book of Michael Palage and resign earlier, lest you
further embarrass both yourself and the ICANN Board.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/