RE: [ga] ...a palpable hit

  • To: Roberto Gaetano <ploki_xyz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] ...a palpable hit
  • From: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 09:28:03 -0700
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sotiris and Roberto,

Just wanted to clear up a misconception regarding the Redemption Grace
Period. The fees charged are not entirely set by Registrars. The gTLD
registries currently charge the Registrars, as approved by ICANN, $40
for a Redemption and that does not include the renewal fee.

All of the Registries have automated processes for Registrars as far as
submitting and approving the Redemption request. However, Registrars
have the added expense of dealing with the consumer directly in order
to facilitate the Redemption. That is not an automated process and
requires one or more person-to-person communications with the
registrant, by phone, email, webform exchange, etc..

Not arguing that the size of the high fee charged by every Registrar is
justified in every case, just adding some perspective to where the fee
came from in the first place.

Regards,

Tim