Re: [ga] Re: Election of ICANN Board

  • To: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Re: Election of ICANN Board
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 01:25:59 -0700
  • Cc: Roberto Gaetano <ploki_xyz@xxxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Vittorio and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

  As usual, I cannot find anything in your remarks below which I can
agree with, nor can any of our members.

No BoD member should ever be appointed.

"voting by paying"  is in no way reasonable in order to determine BoD
members on any non profit corp. for many ethical reasons alone.

Consumers/stakeholders/users must be king if free enterprise is
to be realized and flourish.

Vittorio Bertola wrote:

> Roberto Gaetano ha scritto:
> >
> > I wanted to stay out of this discussion, but maybe better to give my
> > thoughts.
>
> I think I made my opinions on the 2000 elections quite clear in the past.
>
> However, apart from any selection mechanism one might want to establish,
> we do need some kind of clearer and more direct representation of
> registrants and users in the ICANN Board. I am happy to see a wave of
> new Directors, appointed by the Nomcom, who have the public interest in
> mind (and partly, I take it as a result of our struggle to have a
> significant representation of the At Large in the Nomcom), but there
> needs to be a mechanism to ensure that this will happen also in the
> future, especially if the chain of external checks over ICANN is going
> to be weakened.
>
> I am not convinced that "voting by paying" is sufficient. The interest
> of registrants is a good approximation of the general public interest,
> but it does not always coincide with the interest of the average
> Internet user. Moreover, not all parts of the Internet and of the world
> have the same buying power, and the same awareness of how this market
> works and how to influence it through consumer choices (there are parts
> of the world where the very concepts of "consumerism" and "consumer
> rights" are practically unknown, and everything relies on regulation).
> And finally, this is a regulated market, where there are dominant or
> monopoly positions, some of which (e.g. the registry) cannot be avoided;
> not everything can be influenced by consumer choices.
> --
> vb.             [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<-----
> http://bertola.eu.org/  <- Prima o poi...

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827