Re: [ga] Re: [governance] Establishment of the European Regional At-Large Organizaton

  • To: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Re: [governance] Establishment of the European Regional At-Large Organizaton
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 14:16:38 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, governance@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Platos Republic revisited. OTOH is it Shakespeares whether it is Nobler to try and fail, than to have never tried.

  It is also fun to look at the end game. Since the ISOCs are so organized (or any group in alac, by requirement) when/if alac accepts them as a member they already know who would be on the board. OTOH the higher the individual represention there is we pretty much already know who would be on the board.

  So the main players battling the causes probably are the likely boardmembers depending on how the wind blows. ICANN certainly does not want the individual rights advocates sitting next to them.

  I wonder what would force the to reconsider?

Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> .. but, once the gates are open, the fault of this only lies with
> those who don't bother to participate.

Those who are given a toy steering wheel are not driving the automobile
even if they do participate.

The ALAC is a toy.

And the ALAC is not merely a toy, it is also a badge of subordination and
inferiority. While selected industrial actors get access to the real
steering wheel of ICANN, the ALAC seems happy to accept a powerless third
class status.

No, I will not bother to cooperate with the ALAC. Indeed it is my feeling
that the ALAC should be recognized for what it was intended to be: a
childrens' playpen to keep "individuals" quiet.

I know that some are trying your best to make good of a bad situation.
And for that they deserve credit for having hope.

I, however, am not going to eat ICANN's ALAC garbage and pretend that it
is tasty and nutritious.

--karl--

Yahoo! Photos