Re: [ga] Re: On new TLDs

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, kidsearch wrote:

Karl, should there be limitations to the number of tlds one entity can
create?

You are concerned about the creation of things like a "Clear Channel" or "Fox News" on the internet via TLD ownership?

If we have a fair and objective allocation mechanism then at least it seems unlikely that at the initial allocation there will be excessive concentration (beyond that concentration that is guaranteed by thick wallets). But there is always the subsequent reshuffling that occurs as those who got the allocation from ICANN transfer their winnings to others.

It's a problem that exists in so may context and there are so few solutions that don't involve deeply structured regulatory systems. We may just have to live with it for a while to see how it develops rather than try to imagine solutions for all possible future scenerios.

By-the-way, Verisign isn't evil - they are just doing what for-profit corporations are supposed to do. The bad part is that the US gov't and ICANN have given in so easily and so often.

The Verisign negotiators have so often negotiated the pants off of the USG and of ICANN that we ought to nationalize those folks as a national asset and use 'em to negotiate a settlement to all kinds of international disputes.

        --karl--