Re: [ga] Re: On new TLDs

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, kidsearch wrote:

Danny, you bring up this point; Does ICANN currently have in place a plan to
deal with registry business/financial failure?
..
I'm asking for an explanation here. Why is this any different?

It isn't any different.

I've been asking for years that people consider the question of what we want out of these internet governance bodies.

A. Do we want to create an oversight body to ensure technical stability?

B. Do we want to create a consumer protection agency?

C. Do we want to create an insurance body to protect the consumer against business failures?

D. Do we want to create a market-maker to select, shape, and and form domain name vendors, products, prices and terms? (I.e. do we want to adopt J.D. Rockefeller's approach of "rationalizing" the marketplace by supressing the "irrationality" of open competition?)

Most of us probably would say we want "A" and maybe "B".

But in reality what we have from ICANN is "D" with a hint of "C".

		--karl--