[ga] Re: On new TLDs

  • To: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] Re: On new TLDs
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 11:48:25 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Karl,

I would imagine that in Jon Postel's day the issue
wasn't only the competencies and ethics of a TLD
proponent, but also the issue of "circumstance", as
in, "under what circumstances should a new TLD be
launched?"  Clearly Jon's iTLD file lists requests by
competent parties that weren't acted upon.  Might I
ask your view of what should prompt the launch of a
new TLD?  Is it overwhelming public demand?  Should it
be simply because some technically-competent business
wants to profit from a new namespace?  Should it be
just because a municipality (like Berlin) wants one?
What principles should govern the decision to accept a
new TLD in the root?

--- Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think you are getting caught up in ICANN winds and
> tending to follow the
> ICANN pied piper - you are being led into the
> wilderness of ICANN minutae.
>
> The point on new TLDs is that ICANN should not be
> asking whether someone
> want or does not want a new TLD, or whether a given
> TLD is good or bad.
>
> Instead ICANN should only ask if the proponent of a
> TLD will follow
> internet standards; operate its name servers to a
> given set of technical
> metrics for performance, security, recoverability,
> and fair access; and
> refrain from using the TLD for illegal purposes.
>
> Beyond that ICANN should get out of the way and let
> innovation have its
> day in the sun to grow and thrive or wither and
> fail.
>
> ICANN has an unjustified and unwritten rule that it
> can not allow a TLD to
> fail.  That unjustified and unwritten rule has
> poisoned ICANN's entire
> history on TLD allocation.
>
>  		--karl--

Just $16.99/mo. or less.