Re: [ga] ICANN AtLarge

Karl,

    Well as you know I could not agree with you more
here Karl. However as you also know if one reads
the archives of this now long unofficial forum, ICANN
never wanted nor has encouraged an "At-Large"
which is open to any and all stakeholder/users
sense the disbandment of the DNSO.

Karl Auerbach wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > Dear Fellow GA Members,
> >
> > Considering the recent developments vis a vis Internet Governance, the US
> > Government and the United Nations, I think it is time for the ICANN
> > AtLarge Membership initiative to be revisited.
>
> The ICANN at-large mechanism is so awful that it ought not be considered
> as a vehicle for anything.
>
> In fact, by using ICANN's at-large structure at all would be to imbue it
> with a legitimacy that it does not deserve and thus setting up to be
> proposed as a model for "at-large" mechanisms in whatever new structures
> are created.
>
> In a few weeks during the year 2000 elections to the ICANN board there
> arose many nascent organizations and mechanisms to facilitate public
> interchange and development of public opinion.  That, with a bit of
> encouragement, could happen again.  There is no need to try to resurrect
> the moribund ICANN At-large to fill the role as the representative of the
> community of internet users.  We can have better.
>
>                 --karl--

"Obediance of the law is the greatest freedom" -
   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827