[ga] [Fwd: [Politech] Weekly column: Will the U.N./Bush administration splitthe Net?]

  • To: General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] [Fwd: [Politech] Weekly column: Will the U.N./Bush administration splitthe Net?]
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 01:22:53 -0700
  • Cc: Paul Twomey <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All former DNSO GA members or other interested stakeholders/users,

I hate to day I told you so several years ago, but I amongst
others did...  Read it and weep....

"Obediance of the law is the greatest freedom" -
   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827

--- Begin Message ---
Related post:
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/10/03/us-unilateral-control/

---

http://news.com.com/2010-1071_3-5886556.html

Power grab could split the Net
By Declan McCullagh
October 3, 2005, 4:00 AM PDT

For the first time in its history, the Internet is running a real risk of fracturing into multiple and perhaps even incompatible networks.

At a meeting in Geneva last week, the Bush administration objected to the idea of the United Nations running the top-level servers that direct traffic to the master databases of all domain names.

That's not new, of course--the administration has been humming this tune since June. What's changed in the last few months is the response from the rest of the world.

Instead of acquiescing to the Bush administration's position, the European Union cried foul last week and embraced greater U.N. control. A spokesman said that the EU is "very firm on this position."

[...remainder snipped...]