Re: [ga] ICANN AtLarge

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Dear Fellow GA Members,

Considering the recent developments vis a vis Internet Governance, the US
Government and the United Nations, I think it is time for the ICANN
AtLarge Membership initiative to be revisited.

The ICANN at-large mechanism is so awful that it ought not be considered as a vehicle for anything.

In fact, by using ICANN's at-large structure at all would be to imbue it with a legitimacy that it does not deserve and thus setting up to be proposed as a model for "at-large" mechanisms in whatever new structures are created.

In a few weeks during the year 2000 elections to the ICANN board there arose many nascent organizations and mechanisms to facilitate public interchange and development of public opinion. That, with a bit of encouragement, could happen again. There is no need to try to resurrect the moribund ICANN At-large to fill the role as the representative of the community of internet users. We can have better.

		--karl--