[ga] U.S. tells nations hands off Internet

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] U.S. tells nations hands off Internet
  • From: sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 14:06:11 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well, it's pretty much a done deal, ICANN will remain the only game in
town for the foreseeable future:

"GENEVA -- The United States said at the outset of global talks on
information technology yesterday that it will fight attempts to put the
United Nations or any international group in charge of the Internet.
    "We want to make sure the private sector leads and the Internet
continues to be a reservoir of great innovation, and that governments
continue to focus on enabling the growth of the Internet, and not of
controlling its use," Ambassador David A. Gross told The Washington
Times in an interview. "

The entire article can be read at:
http://washingtontimes.com/functions/print.php?StoryID=20050926-094916-3102r

Frankly, I can't say I am disappointed by this announcement; not in the
least.

Amiably,

Sotiris Sotiropoulos