Re: [ga] Porn Spam - From Whois data selling?

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Porn Spam - From Whois data selling?
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 02:52:06 -0700
  • Cc: ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Eric and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

  I also have noticed a significant increase in porn spam as well as
various
phishing scam attempts.  I can only logically conclude that ICANN is one

of several culprits of this recent increase.

Hugh Dierker wrote:

>    So, believe it or not the last time I visited a site or opened any
> mail having to do in any way with porn was; Clearly before this old
> man got remarried; Doing research for a ccTLD on how best to regulate
> it; And way back when SEX was the most hit name in search engines of
> all things trying to figure out why;.And then some work for the
> Catholic Churches that were getting their Domain Names snatched up in
> the expiry database and switched to old Eastern Euro Block countries
> for uploading porn. Nothing Puritan about me but it just isn't a genre
> that interests me.
>
> But over the last week or so I have been getting tenfold the amount of
> spam with porn as the subject and content. Now it causes me no problem
> but I keep an eye on it through my filters and bulk mail files. So I
> ask why is this happening? I am registered in sites like this boring
> stuff regarding ICANN, Religious and Philosophical sites, Security
> sites, WHO type sites, University sites, International Trade type
> sites, Insurance, Law and IP.
> So must I conclude more farming, phishing, etc. etc.? Or is it sight
> unseen sales of me in a database like a Whois? And why does it ebb and
> flow? The mechanics of spam visa vie porn is most interestingly
> blatant in approach. It will take some work but now I will go into
> those spams and trace back where they got my address. Strange as it
> seems it would appear to coincide with 3 areas I have recently been
> working in USGov, Security and Religion. (believe it or not they are
> very integrated). I wonder which sector has the loosist cybersecurity
> for databases.

    Pierre Abelard

E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS