Re: [ga] Baffling

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Baffling
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 02:14:56 -0700
  • Cc: ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Eric and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

  ICANN BoD and staff members have been significant and prolific
practioners of "Baffelment".  So reading such from an ICANN
announcement is not at all surprising.  Marketing is education and
education is marketing even when it is presented in a less than
honest manner.  However the results of same often misleads or
mis-educates.  Example: Once many scientist taught that the
world was flat.  This was for hundreds was a considered fact
beyond reasonable dispute.  Even the holy father of the Catholic
church considered any other doctrine was blasphemy and punishable
by death or lengthy and horrible imprisonment, and branding as
a heretic.  Yet all of those that excepted such were wrong.

Hugh Dierker wrote:

>    An old guy named Melvin Belli told me while preparing a closing
> argument in a wrongful death case "if you cannot dazzle them with
> brilliance, baffle them with bullshit".  He confessed he thought the
> line had its' origin in Socratian Greek.
>
> Well this is "greek" to me and it seems like a bafflement attempt. If
> we assume that the authors of this missive are competent in English -
> maybe erroneous - then we have to assume that they intend to bullshit
> us.
>
> http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-01jun05.htm
>

> sTLD Update:
> ICANN Moves Forward in First Phase
> Commercial & Technical Negotiations with an Additional sTLD Applicant

> ICANN is pleased to announce that the independent evaluation process,
> which began last year, has resulted in a further sponsored Top Level
> Domain (sTLD) application moving to the next stage.
>
> As the process for selecting new sponsored Top Level Domain (sTLDs)
> continues from a pool of ten applications, ICANN has now entered into
> commercial and technical negotiations with an additional candidate
> registry, ICM Registry, Inc, (.XXX).
>
> ICANN recently announced the designation of two new sponsored
> Top-Level Domains (sTLDs), .JOBS and .TRAVEL at the 22nd ICANN
> International meeting in Mar del Plata, Argentina.
>
> ICANN has also recently entered into commercial and technical
> negotiations with the following additional candidate registries, .CAT,
> .POST & .MOBI.
>
> Discussions continue among ICANN Board and Staff regarding the
> evaluation of four additional proposed sponsored Top Level Domains
> (sTLDs): .ASIA, .MAIL, .TEL-Pulver, & .TEL-Telnic.
>
> An update on the status and progress of the additional applicants will
> be made as they proceed further through the process.
>
> Please address any media enquires concerning the registry applicant,
> ICM, to Stuart Lawley +1 (202) 585- 0259 or visit www.icmregistry.com
> for more information. For any enquires concerning ICANN please email
> press@xxxxxxxxxx

> This file last modified 01-Jun-2005
> © 2005 Internet Corporation For Assigned Names and Numbers

    Pierre Abelard

E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827