[ga] Re: potential IDN confusion issue with Greek language domains

  • To: Sotiris Sotiropoulos <sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Re: potential IDN confusion issue with Greek language domains
  • From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:16:33 +0100
  • Cc: General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

[I do not speak greek at all but french has accents, too.]

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 01:29:47PM -0500,
 Sotiris Sotiropoulos <sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
 a message of 126 lines which said:

> It is currently possible to register IDN domains in Greek with AND
> without the applicable accents, such that two separate registrations
> for the same word can exist, albeit one lacks the applicable accent
> marking(s).

It depends on the registry policy. Some registries allow this, others
don't. It is not IETF business, neither ICANN one. You should talk to
the people who manages ".gr".

> I believe this can lead to a very real and serious confusion issue.

It depends on the importance of the accents for a given language. So,
it cannot be determined internationally.