Re: [ga] Liberalism versus Conservatism

  • To: RBHauptman@xxxxxxx, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Liberalism versus Conservatism
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 10:45:38 -0800 (PST)
  • Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Herr translated means gentleman. That would be the origin of the name in German. It is a higher compliment than mere Mr.. As Ong in Vietnamese or Don in some languages.
Gerhardt (Johann Robert) Hauptmann {note dropping the extra n is an American adaptation}wrote such notables as "the Weavers" and Hanenele, regarding the industrial revolution and reality respectively. He won the Nobel Prize back when.
I paid RBHauptman a compliment from a man whos last name is also German American.

The use of languages is critical on the Internet and especially when dealing with names and domain names. And especially internationally. Name calling and labeling are counterproductive.
This is why I wrote the original piece in the first place. Because it seems to me that labeling of a person rather than the words they speak does volumes of harm. And often stifles the free speech we all seek. Do not get me wrong, I would die defending someones right to call me a fascist because I used a Germanic complimentary term. I just think that labels like liberal, conservative, communist, fascist are misplaced when speaking of productive means and notifying the GA of new important positions being filled, and people should not color their judgement based upon the labeling of the speaker.

Sincerely,
Eric
RBHauptman@xxxxxxx wrote:
Referrrng to him as "Herr Hauptman" says it better than I ever could.

Fascist.