Re: [ga] Liberalism versus Conservatism

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Liberalism versus Conservatism
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 18:31:45 -0800
  • Cc: RBHauptman@xxxxxxx, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Eric and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

  Your right of course here Eric. I cannot, nor did not see what this
fellows
complaint has to do with Liberalism versus Conservatism in the use
of the term "Herr".  Further I don't see that this subject area has any
relevance to Domain name or DNS issues what so ever...  FWIW,
Liberalism versus Conservatism are often times very blurred or
intertwined, IMHO...  It is clear, and has been for some decades
now, that Americans at least are centrists by in large.  They share
values and interspection with some traditional liberal ideas and some
conservative ideas.

Hugh Dierker wrote:

>    Herr translated means gentleman. That would be the origin of the
> name in German. It is a higher compliment than mere Mr.. As Ong in
> Vietnamese or Don in some languages.
> Gerhardt (Johann Robert) Hauptmann {note dropping the extra n is an
> American adaptation}wrote such notables as "the Weavers" and Hanenele,
> regarding the industrial revolution and reality respectively. He won
> the Nobel Prize back when.
> I paid RBHauptman a compliment from a man whos last name is also
> German American.
>
> The use of languages is critical on the Internet and especially when
> dealing with names and domain names. And especially internationally.
> Name calling and labeling are counterproductive.
> This is why I wrote the original piece in the first place. Because it
> seems to me that labeling of a person rather than the words they speak
> does volumes of harm. And often stifles the free speech we all seek.
> Do not get me wrong, I would die defending someones right to call me a
> fascist because I used a Germanic complimentary term. I just think
> that labels like liberal, conservative, communist, fascist are
> misplaced when speaking of productive means and notifying the GA of
> new important positions being filled, and people should not color
> their judgement based upon the labeling of the speaker.
>
> Sincerely,
> Eric
> RBHauptman@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Referrrng to him as "Herr Hauptman" says it better than I ever could.
>
> Fascist.

    Pierre Abelard

E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS