Re: [ga] Humiliating photos are symptomatic of a greater problem

At 19:31 08/05/04, Richard Henderson wrote:
What has this all got to do with ICANN? Well we're talking about an attitude and a culture... look at Enron, look at Worldcom (yes, Worldcom, Vint)... and look at the arrogant way in which the US government set up ICANN as a 'front' for its control of the DNS... the DNS accountable not to the world but to the US's Department of Commerce. And look at the way ICANN has operated, ousting democracy and the At Large from its Boardroom, opaque and non-communicative in many of its transactions, driven by "insiders" who seem to favour the vested interests and corporate interests...

Dear Richard,
Let understand exactly what happens to our world. We have added billions to billions people. These people are no better and no worse than before. But they are more numerous. Their number - with their good and their bad aspects - screens the ones, good or bad, we want/used to relate with. This lead us to _need_ datacoms solutions like the internet. We started developping them 30 years ago. But it is a long process. In my long life (:-) I have already operated/developped under four worldwide datacoms technologies (not counting fax) and entering probably a fith one.

Because the ITU changed from our naming common initial approach to favor the telephone like X.121 numbering scheme, it happened that IANA and ICANN inherited a small part of our common initial legacy and uses it to the benefit of their nation - why not? If you are not happy the fault is not with ICANN. The fault is with us.

I agree we can take advantage of the Middle-East parabole. But, may-be, another way: was UK forced to invade Irak?

Are you forced to use the NTIA root file? Are you forced to pay (attention to) ICANN?
Are you obliged to use the DN/IDN and the spammed mail system? Even on the DNS systems.

Nothing prevents us to implement and coordinate our own roots files for a more authoritative and sure support of the world's network reality. Nothing prevents us to run an ML.ML name space. Nothing prevents us to develop a no spam zone. Nothing prevents us to be smart. Even in using the broken TCP/IP infrastructure - even under Cisco [as much dangerous to the world and to the US image as WorldCom and Rumsfeld and M$] - until we can implement next smarter model (which will have cons and pros because we are only humans).

Please do not accuse the USA of our common global illness in front of our world's change : all of us, we leave a few dumb people to bluff us. Yes, the world has changed, but in many aspects it has too much simplified (who can really believe that the entire world economy is based upon a single small file just because ICANN says that John Klensin was the voice of God in an inofrmation RFC, and ISOC says that Vint is the Father of the nets). The day there is a Bristish and a French (we are building it) and an Iraqi concerted roots matrix, they will contain the risk for their nations of a wizz kid or of a politician hacking the NTIA root.

But more than that, they will restore the complexity and the proximity which protect us. And the capacity for national, local, private zone development and mutual assistance which makes our lives interesting. That day, most probably the USA will import some good root management tools from Jordan or from Bengladesh - just because people there have more lingual complexity to address with ML.ML than IETF can understand about IDNA. And may-be further on from France, when we have made a few people in here to understand that ASCII, ML etc. are just sub-spaces of vernacular :-).

Just a question. Who is going to judge Saddam now: Rumsfeld, Kerry, Blair?
Don't judge ICANN: just do a good work around it (and to support it for its US root management job). And leave Iraqi people to judge Saddam and manage the Iraqi root.
jfc