Re: [ga] Humiliating photos are symptomatic of a greater problem

  • To: <Ibelimited1@xxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Humiliating photos are symptomatic of a greater problem
  • From: "Richard Henderson" <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 18:31:18 +0100
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for an excellent and thought-provoking article and e-mail, which cut deep to our own consciences. As a British citizen I am appalled and deeply ashamed of the indecencies carried out by some of my own country's soldiers, and the lack of human kindness and respect afforded by them to prisoners from a different culture. I am also well aware that this is probably not just a matter of an isolated incident - reports by impartial third parties strongly suggest that abuse and failure to respect the Geneva Convention (or basic common humanity) was occurring in more than an individual location.

What I suggest we can see is a culture of arrogance and "might is right"... along with a spiritual and moral weakness that lurks beneath the surface of some of the world's supposedly moral nations. You see this malaise not only in a handful of low-ranking soldiers, but also here in the UK in cases like Deepcut, where British recruits appear to have been systematically bullied by their own NCOs and some of them died in circumstances which have led to murder investigations. There is a pathetic and ignorant "macho" culture which is fostered in both the UK and US armed forces with resulting dehumanising effects in some units. In a modern world, it is deeply discouraging that these same out-dated attitudes are perpetuated.

Worse still, there appears to have been tacit acceptance of these events, failure to publicise them openly, failure to really take them seriously... this from people who already had the invasion of Iraq as an agenda long before September 11th, and who arrogantly defied the international community, aborted its WMD inspection processes, and launched the attack on Iraq on the grounds of weapons which now appear to have been decommissioned years before. When this spurious basis for war lost credibility, the war suddenly became a "human rights" issue... though in the light of the cowardly bombing from the safety of the skies and the deaths of thousands of Iraqi children and ordinary families, not to mention the POW pictures (and videos to follow?) and the reckless attack on Falluja resulting in over 100 children killed, the claim of the US to be a "human rights" role-model wears a bit thin.

I am ashamed that the British Prime Minister (against the wishes of 80% of the British public) backed the decision to invade Iraq without the sanction of a second UN resolution. I am ashamed of the disgusting conduct of those troops who have been found out (how many haven't been?). I am ashamed that when the international community voted this week by 140-6 in support of the foundation of a Palestinian State, the United States and its so called allies seem to abandon the aspirations of ordinary Arab people but do nothing about the Weapons of Mass Destruction that Israel possesses. I'm not saying that Israel may not have its reasons for these, but the hypocrisy and inconsistency of America is staggering.

The "New American Century" group, which backed the expansionist and aggressive foreign policy of George Bush (and which included influential members of his administration) overtly set out to expand US influence through military might. Today, the world holds America in lower esteem than probably at any time in her history. What on earth has gone so badly wrong?

Unfortunately arrogance, ignorance and greed have resulted in weak and morally-flawed people taking over at the head of government in the US - while here in the UK a weak leader who tries to please everybody and be everything to everyone, first tried to humour George Bush and then found he couldn't extricate himself from Bush's ambitions.

What has this all got to do with ICANN? Well we're talking about an attitude and a culture... look at Enron, look at Worldcom (yes, Worldcom, Vint)... and look at the arrogant way in which the US government set up ICANN as a 'front' for its control of the DNS... the DNS accountable not to the world but to the US's Department of Commerce. And look at the way ICANN has operated, ousting democracy and the At Large from its Boardroom, opaque and non-communicative in many of its transactions, driven by "insiders" who seem to favour the vested interests and corporate interests...

Today, in our world, there are still pockets of residual sympathy for the USA, because there is another side to all this... ordinary family Americans who are kindly and decent (albeit living off the exploitation of poorer peoples - but we are all guilty of that in the West)... however, the leadership of the US and UK - who are ultimately responsible for the invasion of Iraq and the conduct of their troops - are more discredited now than at almost any time.

And what does all this contribute to the War on Terror? The stupidity of these actions will fuel the cause of martrydom and terrorism, and has made the world a less safe place to live in for your children, our children, and Arab children... it is a *shambles*...

These pictures - and the still more degrading reality which lurks behind them, mostly undiscovered - are a shameful indictment.

Thank you Khaled, for your mail.

Yrs,

Richard Henderson
www.iraqwar.co.uk