[ga] ICANN's accredited registrars and trying to renew one name

  • To: <ga@xxxxxxxx>, <halloran@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] ICANN's accredited registrars and trying to renew one name
  • From: "Richard Henderson" <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:51:23 +0100
  • Cc: <DannyYounger@xxxxxx>, <vinton.g.cerf@xxxxxxxx>, <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

HelpDear Dan,

Are ICANN-accredited registrars obliged (within reason) to maintain and renew domains of which they are already the registrars? I'm having difficulties with Libris (dba DomReg) who are registrars for my domain name www.theHumanRace.com - as I was given a ONE-DAY notice of expiry, and they will respond to neither phone calls nor e-mail.

As they are ICANN-accredited, I wondered what ICANN's view and position is, if I am a legitimate domain name holder, and one of your Registrars simply lets a domain expire, because they are inaccessible and it seems impossible to renew the domain. Hopefully, Libris will resolve this in the coming days, but this case highlights the need for ICANN to *require* certain minimum standards if registrars wish to remain accredited.

I will (as usual) keep you posted, and I will probably highlight this case elsewhere as well if Libris don't renew my domain name. Their suggestion (one day before expiry) that I should transfer to another Registrar would seem to be peculiar, given the rules that prohibit transfer in the weeks before expiry.

This case matters to me as I have been developing contacts with schools around the globe and the project (for school children from all nations to network together through their schools) is scheduled for this domain name.

Hope you're having a good summer and your young daughter is well!

Richard Henderson

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Dear Sir, I refer you to the e-mail I sent you yesterday, urgently instructing you to help me get my domain name renewed. I have also phoned your telephone number 5 times today and got no reply. I continue to register this situation with ICANN, and I'm sure you will be able to help me as you are the registrar of my domain name.

Richard Henderson

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Mail below was sent on 21st August 2003
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

With reference to www.thehumanrace.com

As this domain name expires tomorrow (22nd August) and you have sent me a reminder today (21st August) I now urgently request that you RENEW this domain name for one year please.

I will attempt to telephone you in the next 24 hours, using the number provided for ICANN-accredited registrars on the Internic website (007-812-914-0281).

As I have no password for this name, I have not been able to renew the name at www.libris.com. Please could you instruct me on how I am to make payment for this renewal. Will you provide me with a password to do this, via my domain admin e-mail and contact address?

I must renew this name through Libris (dba. DomReg Ltd) because transfers to other registrars are not permitted within 40 days of the renewal date.

This is a matter of urgency for me, so I hope you will be able to kindly assist. I have also sent a copy of this e-mail to Dan Halloran at ICANN, to monitor the registration process and ensure this all goes through, which obviously I am sure it will as you are an ICANN-accredited registrar. I am also an active participant at ICANN, having been twice elected to Icann at Large, Internet Users group participating in Internet governance policy and domain name issues.

My thanks, in anticipation of your assistance,

Richard Henderson
richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx
+44.xxxxxxxxxxxx
8 Robin Hill