Re: [ga] Message Boards and moderation.

Eric and all former DNSO GA members or other interested parties,

  Eric is partly correct in his remarks/supposed answers below.

  Slander is both to the ear and to the eyeball.

  Moderation is a form of imposed censorship.

  Censorship in any of it's ugly forms is WRONG.

  ICANN forums of many and varied types or regarding
specified subject issues and areas have been overly
restricted/censored at times and as such have in being so,
lead to growing discontent and distrust towards the ICANN
BoD and staff.  That or those reactions are naturally justified
in light of the MoU and White paper.

Eric Dierker wrote:

> The answer is not difficult;
> If you edit you are an editor and therefor responsible.
> If you control the published content you are a publisher and etc. etc.
> Look up the legal advice given on the ICANN forums, quite telling.
> That is a big downside to censorship.
> If you control content then you are responsible for it.
> Slander is to the ear and Libel is to the eyeball.
> Moderated lists create a publishing and libel nightmare.
>
> > I have a vague recollection of discussions about who is responsible for
> > the content of message boards, but can't remember the outcome. Can the
> > board owner/domain name holder/ web host/ registrar be held legally
> > responsible for any libel posted on a site? Is there a legal obligation
> > to moderate postings, or does free speech cover everything, even if not
> > hosted, owned in the US?
> >
> > As no doubt you can guess, I have a friend with a user situation.
> > Thanks,
> > Joanna

    Pierre Abelard
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801