Re: Problem since [ga] list changed over...

On 2003-07-21 15:12:01 +0100, Richard Henderson wrote:

> I notice that since the 'changeover' I've started to receive
> automated responses *direct* to me with expressions like "I'll be
> out of the office until...." etc. So far I've had seven of these

As it's holiday season on the Northern hemisphere, that doesn't
sound so unnatural...

> This never happened previously when I posted to the [ga] list.

It certainly happened to me -- and, in any event, the relevant part
of the list configuration is unchanged, from a look at message
headers.

> I suggest that the interface for all [ga] postings to your
> mailing list should be [ga]>[subscriber] so that these automated
> replies get sent to the [ga] and not to each individual who posts
> to your mailing list.

What you suggest there is (I'm sorry) nuts.

What you probably *wanted* to suggest is that automatic responses be
directed to the list owner, not to the authors of messages on the
list, nor to the list itself.  Fortunately, the list is set up in
that way already.  It's not the list setup that's broken, but a
large number of autoresponders out there.

--
Thomas Roessler			      <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>