Re: Problem since [ga] list changed over...

----- Original Message -----
From: Thomas Roessler <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Richard wrote:
> > I suggest that the interface for all [ga] postings to your
> > mailing list should be [ga]>[subscriber] so that these automated
> > replies get sent to the [ga] and not to each individual who posts
> > to your mailing list.
Thomas replied:

> What you suggest there is (I'm sorry) nuts.
>
> What you probably *wanted* to suggest is that automatic responses be
> directed to the list owner, not to the authors of messages on the
> list, nor to the list itself.  Fortunately, the list is set up in
> that way already.  It's not the list setup that's broken, but a
> large number of autoresponders out there.

Richard now responds:

Yes, what I suggested (the way I worded it) certainly was nuts, because the
last thing we need is loads of autoresponses being mailed to the list.

What I *wanted* to suggest was that the interface should be altered, so that
autoresponders do not reply to the individuals who originally posted the
messages on the list.

None of these autoresponses appear on the [ga] list, and must therefore
either not be received by the list or get filtered out if they get sent to
the list.

The same principle should apply to individuals. Notwithstanding what you
said, Thomas, in the 50 -100 posts I've sent to the list over the past two
years, I've never previously received an autoresponse, until the list
location was changed last week.

Since then, I have now received 9 autoresponses!

Crispin says the configuration was changed when the list moved last week,
and with Karl's help, they appear to have identified what was causing this
spate of autoresponses getting through, and Crispin says he's now changed
the configuration to stop it happening.

Hopefully, this will now stop "the curse of the autoresponders"!

yrs,

Richard H