Re: Web address of [ga] list please

  • To: <ga@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Web address of [ga] list please
  • From: "Richard Henderson" <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 10:35:30 +0100
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for the info.

Are you able to give absolute assurances that *all* the archived messages
from the various ga mail lists, sent over a number of years, will be
preserved, will continue to be archived, and will be easily accessible
online?

These mailing lists document many issues and are a potentially important
historical and legal record of various events.

On a separate issue, may I also ask once again the location of the At Large
list of many thousands of names which was collected for the At Large
elections, and which should have been archived by a responsible
organisation? What precisely happened to this list of participants? Where
precisely is this list?

While I would not expect a list of names and addresses to be released
online, there is a general principle here of ICANN's responsibility for the
safe-keeping of important documents and data.

ICANN has a responsibility for the preservation of all mailing lists, forum
posts etc. I am a little confused about how a potentially invaluable source
of participation like the At Large voters list can be mislaid (if it has). I
am a little confused about how selective ICANN sometimes seems about things
it *does* publish (for example, why 18 months late, has it *still* not
published the Registry Evaluation Reports referenced in Appendix U of the
Agreements with Neulevel and Afilias?).

I would encourage the independent 'mirroring' of all ICANN-related websites,
lists and forums, by parties outside ICANN itself, because I don't really
trust ICANN not to 'lose' or 'eradicate' elements with which they feel
uncomfortable. I've done this with two of the Public Forums on New TLDs
(because they contain much incriminating information and yet were dismissed
by Stuart Lynn as "a joke").

When senior ICANN officials are prepared to marginalise important data, it
leads me to suspect they may be prepared at some stage in the future to
marginalise them into total obscurity.

yrs,

Richard Henderson