RE: [ga] List of Domain Names

  • To: debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "'Accountability Headquarters'" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] List of Domain Names
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 16:44:32 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Debbie and all,

  Seems that there are some assumptions made here that do not necessarly
fit the known and or reported facts.

  My first question in this vein is" Debbie, how do you define 'Normal
business' in your stated context?

  IP interests are indeed important and should be protected to the
extent practical.  But this does not mean, nor should mean that
extrodinary protections in the form of regulation or policy effected
at the cost of the whole IT community are justified.  The IP interests
were late in getting in the IT game, and as such remain well behind
the technology curve to this day.  That is their problem not the
whole IT communities problem to solve for them.  Good filtering
techniques and technology if deployed properly will give more than
adaquate protection for large IP interests, and they have to deploy
such themselves.  They have yet to do so.  Shame on them.

  Your argument Debbie seems to stem from the onus of 'confusingly
similar' paradign.  Yet a Domain Name is nothing more than a
string of characters in and of itself.  As such if a user is
confused by same, than that is the users fault, not ICANN's, nor
anyone elses, nor should policy be constructed to protect IP interests
as a result of bad judgment by a user or another registrant accordingly.
Each Domain Name is, or should be unique!