RE: [ga] RE: [gnso-acc-sgb] Impact on UDRP

  • To: "'Jeffrey A. Williams'" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <disenberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] RE: [gnso-acc-sgb] Impact on UDRP
  • From: "Debbie Garside" <debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 22:53:22 +0100

Jeff

Zone Files made available for review is not the same as Zone Files made
available for FTP download with timed updates.  See my previous message to
Eric where I detail the service offered by Verisign.

As to UDRP, I am no expert, although I do subscribe to the WIPO Domain Names
Decisions List.  However, privacy is no defence in law (as far as I know)
and if there is an accusation of Trademark infringement then the owner must
provide information to UDRP.  A two tier process in this case may allow for
UDRP to look at the complaint and to decide whether to ask the Registrar to
release information about the actual owner of the domain. The Registrar
should be compelled to provide answers if a UDRP is filed.  I think if this
were the case, Registrars would quite happily write a tiny clause into their
privacy contracts stating: "in the event of a UDRP claim being filed your
details will be released to the other party unless justification can be
shown as to why it shouldn't.  This justification would have to go to the
UDRP process.  Remember these are lawyers and so there is (hopefully) some
sort of client confidentiality which may be maintained in the first tier of
such a process.

Anyway, I'm no expert on UDRP (as I am sure you can see).  These are just
thoughts off the top of my head.

Debbie

  _____