Re: [ga] Proposed GNSO Working Group Guidelines Published

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>, "ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Glen de Saint Géry <Glen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Proposed GNSO Working Group Guidelines Published
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 12:31:44 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

<HEAD>
<STYLE>body{font-family:
Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:10pt;font-family:arial,sans-serif;background-color:
 #ffffff;color: black;}p{margin:0px}</STYLE>

<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18928"></HEAD>
<BODY id=compText>
<P>Eric and all,</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>Bureaucratic baffoonery is not always easily recognized, ergo why when it is
it should be</P>
<P>pointed out openly and than the transparency of same has been achieved and
at 'That'</P>
<P>point we can start to ignore the follow-on chatter and make a future mental
reference.</P>
<P>Yet the source of such bureaucratic baffoonery in one instance should not
necessary</P>
<P>be carried forward to the next from that same source.&nbsp; However I wasn't
referencing</P>
<P>COI in my previous response.&nbsp; So I am at a loss as to your response in
return</P>
<P>to same.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp; Well run and effective WG's and TF's have participants that have no
problem with</P>
<P>displaying/articulating their team colors.&nbsp; To not do so from the start
or to restrict</P>
<P>in such a manner the WG or TF'es end goal too specifically set,&nbsp;belies
that such a</P>
<P>gathering is a 'Real' WG or TF but rather does give notice however
indirectly or</P>
<P>auspiciously what the conclusion is to, or 'Must' be.&nbsp; As such what
ligitimately can</P>
<P>be honestly&nbsp;accomplished by such an exercise?&nbsp; &nbsp;
<BR><BR><BR></P>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px;
MARGIN-LEFT: 0px">-----Original Message----- <BR>From: Hugh Dierker
<HDIERKER2204@xxxxxxxxx><BR>Sent: Jun 11, 2010 9:07 AM <BR>To: "Jeffrey A.
Williams" <JWKCKID1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <GA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Glen de Saint Géry <GLEN@xxxxxxxxx><BR>Cc: Rod Beckstrom
<ROD_BECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx><BR>Subject: Re: [ga] Proposed GNSO Working Group
Guidelines Published <BR><BR><ZZZHTML><ZZZHEAD>
<STYLE type=text/css><ZZZ!-- DIV {margin:0px;} --></STYLE>
</ZZZHEAD><ZZZBODY>
<DIV style="FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif; FONT-SIZE:
12pt">
<DIV>Jeff,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Front loading or perceived conflicts of interests or industry campaigning
are not innopposite or elleviated by openness and transparency.&nbsp; They are
made ameliorated and contained and clear and honest. Having a bent is not a bad
thing. Lying about it is. On this list you wear your opines like a pack cabbage
on a generals chest -- that is good, we know where you are coming from and pay
you the attention accordingly. In more organized WG and TFs we cannot always
tell the players team colors. But with openness and transparency we soon know
the wolves from the lambs, regardless of the clothing.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>FF is another good example -- we know he is a bureaucrat who is most
concerned with self agrandizement and promotion and his own job.&nbsp; So when
he speaks. Whalaa we know not to listen. Apparently the BoD feels the
same.<BR></DIV>
<DIV style="FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif; FONT-SIZE:
12pt"><BR>
<DIV style="FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif; FONT-SIZE:
12pt"><FONT size=2 face=Tahoma>
<HR SIZE=1>
<B><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">From:</SPAN></B> Jeffrey A. Williams
&lt;jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR><B><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT:
bold">To:</SPAN></B> Hugh Dierker &lt;hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx&gt;;
"ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" &lt;ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;; Glen de Saint Géry
&lt;Glen@xxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR><B><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Cc:</SPAN></B> Rod
Beckstrom &lt;rod_beckstrom@xxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR><B><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT:
bold">Sent:</SPAN></B> Thu, June 10, 2010 2:48:01 PM<BR><B><SPAN
style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Subject:</SPAN></B> Re: [ga] Proposed GNSO Working
Group Guidelines Published<BR></FONT><BR><ZZZMETA content="off"
http-equiv="x-dns-prefetch-control">
<STYLE>body{font-family:Geneva, Arial, Helvetica,
sans-serif;font-size:10pt;font-family:arial,
sans-serif;background-color:#ffffff;color:black;}p{margin:0px;}</STYLE>

<P>Eric and all,</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp; Good points!&nbsp; My concern is that the seeming desire is to
front-load a predetermined</P>
<P>decision on the WG before it even gets started.&nbsp; That's not in my mind
at least, what</P>
<P>a open and transparent WG should be doing.&nbsp; Just my 2
cents....<BR><BR><BR></P>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px;
MARGIN-LEFT: 0px">-----Original Message----- <BR>From: Hugh Dierker <BR>Sent:
Jun 9, 2010 11:59 PM <BR>To: "ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" , Glen de Saint Géry <BR>Cc:
Rod Beckstrom <BR>Subject: Re: [ga] Proposed GNSO Working Group Guidelines
Published <BR><BR>
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0>
<TBODY>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top>
<DIV>I have been on a few TFs and WG going back to 1999.&nbsp; I applaud some
evaluation and improvement. I believe some of the best of breed from ICANN came
from these groups. I do not see a flaw in the "system" and I do think the new
recs' will make them even better.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Where I see the failure is in presentation to the public and the BoD and
Council. The desire to reach consensus has overshadowed the age old and true
method of publishing minority positions. And then the conclusions of the group
are not afforded appropriate aplomb or given the forum necessary or the tools
to advocate the conclusions. The consensus driven model creates an environment
where consensus builders are then expected to change their stripes and become
crusaders for a working group cause -- has not happened yet and causes
frustration and impotence. This wastes good results and drives away talented
volunteer contributors.<BR><BR>--- On <B>Tue, 6/1/10, Glen <SPAN>de</SPAN>
Saint Géry <I>&lt;Glen@xxxxxxxxx&gt;</I></B> wrote:<BR></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="BORDER-LEFT: rgb(16,16,255) 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px;
MARGIN-LEFT: 5px"><BR>From: Glen de Saint Géry
&lt;Glen@xxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Subject: [ga] Proposed GNSO Working Group Guidelines
Published<BR>To: "ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" &lt;ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Date:
Tuesday, June 1, 2010, 2:30 PM<BR><BR>
<DIV class=plainMail><BR><BR><BR>Proposed GNSO Working Group Guidelines
Published<BR>http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-3-31may10-en.htm<BR><BR>WG-WT
 Publishes its Report<BR><BR>31 May 2010<BR><BR>As part of GNSO Improvements,
which has as its objective to improve the structure and operations of the
Generic Names Supporting Organization (GNSO), a Working Group (WG) Work Team
(WT) was tasked with developing a Working Group Model. The Working Group Model
should become the focal point for GNSO policy development and enhance the
policy development process by making it more inclusive and representative, and
- ultimately - more effective and efficient. To this end, the WG WT has
developed a document, entitled 'GNSO Working Group Guidelines', which brings
together two different elements of the Working Group process; on the one hand
it addresses what should be considered in creating, purposing, funding,
staffing, and instructing/guiding a WG to accomplish the desired outcome (the
chartering process), and; secondly, what guidance should be provided to a WG on
elements such as structuring, norms, tasking, reporting, and delivering the
outcome(s) as chartered (the working group !<BR>process). Following review of
public comments on an earlier version of the proposed GNSO Working Group
Guidelines, the WG WT has now finalized its recommendations and will submit the
proposed GNSO Working Group Guidelines to the Policy Process Steering Committee
(PPSC) for its review.<BR><BR>Background<BR><BR>In the past, the GNSO decided
policy mainly through small legislative bodies called "Task Forces."
Intentionally, it is moving towards a more inclusive, representative model
where key parties tackle an issue together as a "Working Group," then make
recommendations to the GNSO Council. The WG WT was tasked to define the new
Working Group model, including guidelines, checklists, and other materials to
speed the process of creating, chartering, naming, funding, staffing, and
guiding a GNSO Working Group.<BR><BR>Further Information<BR><BR>&nbsp; &nbsp; *
GNSO Working Group Guidelines -
http://gnso.icann.org/improvements/working-group-guidelines-31may10-en.pdf
[PDF, 681 KB]<BR>&nbsp; &nbsp; * WG-WT Workspace - <A
href="https://st.icann.org/icann-ppsc/index.cgi?working_group_team";
rel=nofollow
target=_blank>https://st.icann.org/icann-ppsc/index.cgi?working_group_team</A><BR>&nbsp;
 &nbsp; * GNSO Improvements -
http://gnso.icann.org/en/improvements/<BR><BR>Staff responsible: Marika
Konings<BR><BR>Glen de Saint Géry<BR>GNSO Secretariat<BR><A
href="http://us.mc529.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx";
 rel=nofollow
target=_blank>gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx</A><BR>http://gnso.icann.org/<BR><BR></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><BR></ZZZHTML>
<P>Regards,<BR><BR>Jeffrey A. Williams<BR>Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over
300+k members/stakeholders and growing, strong!)<BR>"Obedience of the law is
the greatest freedom" -<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; Abraham Lincoln<BR><BR>"Credit should
go with the performance of duty and not with what is very<BR>often the accident
of glory" - Theodore Roosevelt<BR><BR>"If the probability be called P; the
injury, L; and the burden, B; liability<BR>depends upon whether B is less than
L multiplied by<BR>P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."<BR>United States v.
Carroll Towing&nbsp; (159 F.2d 169 [2d Cir.
 1/26/04<BR>CSO/DIR. Internet Network Eng. SR. Eng. Network data security IDNS.
div. of<BR>Information Network Eng.&nbsp; INEG. INC.<BR>ABA member in good
standing member ID 01257402 E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<BR>Phone:
214-244-4827<BR></P>
[...]
214-244-4827<BR></P></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV></DIV></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY>