Re: [ga] RE: GA irrelevant

  • To: Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] RE: GA irrelevant
  • From: Joop Teernstra <terastra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 22:04:14 +1200

Roberto,

Thank you for continuing this thread.  Those capable of producing signal
rather than noise can at least do so from time to time even if
it is a repeat of what has been said in vain for the last 15 years.

It is simple to break the vicious circle. The Board adopts, say, the
proposals of Carl Bildt or any other good compromise proposal that gives
real representation and voting power to those who make this whole
registration circus possible and gives them a real say in what happens with
their money and how they are protected from the sleazier parts of the MLM industry that ICANN has
facilitated.
The organization will be financed with the registrants' own money, that is:
from the ICANN budget.

Watch how this list will transform into the most read list in ICANN-land!
Watch how good ideas and constructive criticism will back up election
campaigns for the representatives.
Watch a trans-border political entity come alive with a voice that speaks to
global internet policy makers, in ICANN and in treaty organizations.

You lament that nobody picks up the cross any more.
One of the problems with finding the thankless representatives to put their
shoulders under this task is that the orginal supporters and "activists"
have been thoroughly discouraged and that ICANN has now lost the credibility that is
needed to attract new blood.

Are you really surprised that there is no animo for this work if you have to
pay your own way and in the end get "stink for thanks" (translated from Dutch)?

ICANN could solve this if it wanted to.

It is not a matter of " .. no willingness by registrants to get
themselves organized " , but a matter of a lack of prospect that this self-organization will result in anything other than a bigger fig leaf for ICANN.

And, as you say, it is the (prospective) result that counts.

Joop

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>