Re: [ga] censorship among root servers

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] censorship among root servers
  • From: Joe Baptista <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 23:24:10 -0430

One thing this lesson has taught us is you can't have root servers in
countries that censor. And countries with root servers have the power to
screw the world just by tweaking their boarder gateways.

I've been putting together the bits and pieces of the puzzle and it does
look like a boarder gateway leaked china DNS to the world. Here is the best
analysis of what happened that I have seen to date from someone at ground
zero.

http://bit.ly/cy2sMj

According to another report I have seen this has been going on for weeks. It
has also affected more domains then just twitter youtube and facebook. And
this incident has been going on for a while. Just not a week or two but very
likely longer. And I'm beginning to suspect ICANN knew about it and the
reports of the incident were no surprise.

I've warned people for years - if you want secure DNS - run your own roots.
Thats the only solution that is fool proof and works.

This whole incident also brings up an interesting attack vector using
DNSSEC. By taking control of one root server ..  or gateway .. you could
black out entire portions of the Internet if they are DNSSEC enabled. Thats
the Bernstein DNSSEC suicide case taken to the extreme.

cheers
joe baptista

P.S. oh - one more thing this whole incident has been going on for a while.

--
Joe Baptista

www.publicroot.org
PublicRoot Consortium
The future of the Internet is Open, Transparent, Inclusive, Representative &
Accountable to the Internet community @large.
 Office: +1 (360) 526-6077 (extension 052)
    Fax: +1 (509) 479-0084

Personal: http://baptista.cynikal.net/