[ga] censorship among root servers

  • To: "ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] censorship among root servers
  • From: Andrew McMeikan <andrewm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 22:17:08 +0800

I was reading
https://lists.dns-oarc.net/pipermail/dns-operations/2010-March/005267.html

which suggests that some of China's censorship is leaking but would
seem mostly confined (i.e. not leaking to Japan)

Is this the start to the end of DNS?  Implementing censorship occurs
 more aggressively as western countries embrace what was previously
frowned on as totalitarian giving countries that already embrace
censorship a justifiable position in more extreme censorship.

If root nodes are compromised to the point that they redirect
queries to false sites then any trust in DNS is lost.

I call on everyone here to support a declaration that:
"No censorship can be tolerated within the root servers."
and that this supported declaration be forwarded to the ICANN board
that they may press China to chose another way to achieve their
internal polices than polluting a global shared resource.

I trust that this is such a minimalist statement that it can receive
unanimous support within the general assembly.  My personal views on
censorship would like to make a much broader statement but without
this minimal simplistic position for root server trust, I feel that
there can be no functioning name system.

Yours sincerely,

Andrew McMeikan