Re: [ga] List censorship and publications

  • To: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] List censorship and publications
  • From: kent <kent@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 18:39:10 -0700

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 02:48:04PM -0700, George Kirikos wrote:

> Hi Kent,
>
> --- On Thu, 9/24/09, kent@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > The mail server is different than the public web server;
> > the web archives are
> > generated on the mail server, and a cron job copies them to
> > the external web
> > server every two hours.  Average delay due to this is
> > therefore 1 hour.
>
> Thanks for the technical explanation.  Are you able to check how those
> settings might compare to other ICANN mail archives? For example the BC
> mailing list archive at:
>
> http://forum.icann.org/lists/bc-gnso/
>
> seems to only lag by 15 minutes or so, in my experience.

In fact, the BC list is on a half hour cron job and the ga list is on a 2
hour cron job, if I remember correctly.

> Perhaps that cron
> job (it's a different subdomain, i.e.  forum.icann.org, vs.  gnso.icann.org
> where the GA archives are located) is configured to run more often? If it
> didn't cause any issues with server load, it might help people who rely upon
> the web archives to adjust the cron job frequency.

The ga list is one of the oldest ICANN lists, and the web archives are on the
same physical server as the main gnso site.  The web site "forum.icann.org"
was specifically set up to support web archives.  So there are two different
archiving scripts, with different cron parameters.

[...]

> I think it's the greylisting which has the biggest impact.  I'm not sure if
> the greylisting is being done on the forum.icann.org mailing lists.  When I
> send to the GA list, the lag is much greater than when sending to the BC list
> (usually I send to the BC list using Google servers (i.e.  Google Apps for
> Domains), whereas I send to the GA list using Yahoo).  I think Yahoo mail
> *does* include DomainKeys, so that could be added conceivably to the spam
> filtering to whitelist mails that do pass the DomainKeys test, to reduce lag
> (that test would need to precede the greylisting test).

I think using DKIM would be great, but I'm really not in a position to do
much about it.  I am only peripherally involved in the operation of ICANN's
email system these days.

Kent