Re: [ga] List censorship and publications

  • To: kent <kent@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] List censorship and publications
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 20:53:52 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

--- On Sun, 9/27/09, kent <kent@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The ga list is one of the oldest ICANN lists, and the web
> archives are on the
> same physical server as the main gnso site.  The web
> site "forum.icann.org"
> was specifically set up to support web archives.  So
> there are two different
> archiving scripts, with different cron parameters.

I did find a document talking about Mhonarc performance at:

http://www.mhonarc.org/MHonArc/doc/guides/performance.html

Probably the first tip, breaking up the large archives into smaller ones, would
give the most bang for the buck, since:

"MHonArc performance degrades as an archive gets larger."

and some of the archives are quite large. Every time a new email arrives, many
old pages need to be updated. The GA list archive was broken up in the
past....using something like "mharc" to do it systematically with all the
archives might improve things, without causing extra server load.

They seem to use that for Mhonarc's own mailing list archives, and they look
pretty good!

http://www.mhonarc.org/archive/html/

Sincerely,

George Kirikos