Re: [ga] 8. Registrants representation

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, GA <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] 8. Registrants representation
  • From: Joop Teernstra <terastra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 11:15:03 +1200

----- Original Message ----- From: "Danny Younger" <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "GA" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Hugh Dierker" <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, September 26, 2009 3:46 AM

I would venture that the Board isn't keen on elections because of the probability that what they view as "the wrong people" would win (as they did in the prior elections). It's a control issue.

But let's move on:

(1) how do we get a registrant constituency established in the GNSO, and
(2) how do we arrive at a process to appoint an at-large director.

Are there any participants on this list that are willing to work on either of these two efforts?

Danny,

1. We (?) could revive a hack-proof online signup procedure and gather again a 1000 constituents and re-petition the Board to allow its elected representatives a seat in the GNSO. I have shortened my life on this once, let someone younger (no pun intended) do it this time. 2. We (here assembled in the GA) could propose and approve a nomination procedure and then start nominating candidates according to that procedure.

To answer Eric's question: limit the representation to registrants, because they have skin in the DNS and the registrars' contractual obligations-- and they are paying the ICANN tax. "Individuals' representation" is just an easy strawman to shoot down.

Joop