RE: [ga] ICANN and censorship (and ombudsman ineffectiveness)

  • Subject: RE: [ga] ICANN and censorship (and ombudsman ineffectiveness)
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 08:30:28 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Debbie,

--- On Fri, 9/25/09, Debbie Garside <debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Perhaps, as an exercise in transparency, the Ombudsman
> could publish details
> of the complaints.  Or is this already the case?

Complainants should have the option to waive "confidentiality" if they want
their complaint on the public record. I'm sure many would agree to do that.

As an example, in the Ombudsman's annual report:

http://www.icann.org/ombudsman/documents/annual-report-2009-24sep09-en.pdf

He boasts on page 3 about how most correspondence is responded to
within "24 hours, or 48 hours if I was traveling." Yet, read Ombudsman File
09-29, which was filed by the Internet Commerce Association:

http://www.icann.org/ombudsman/documents/report-call-for-volunteers-irt-sep09.pdf
http://www.internetcommerce.org/node/193

The complaint was filed on April 21, 2009. Yet the ombudsman waited until