Re: [ga] Cross Posting

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Cross Posting
  • From: kent <kent@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 16:00:06 -0700

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 02:41:12PM -0700, Hugh Dierker wrote:
> I tried to review where this concept of prohibiting cross posting came
> from.  I could not find the open debate regarding same.  In reviewing with
> some other long timers here it really seems like the tail on most humans.

You haven't checked with the right long-timers, then.

Excess cross-posting is a well-known issue with mailing lists in general, not
just ICANN lists.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossposting.

In the ICANN context it has been frowned upon from the beginning.  Technical
restrictions have been considered, and may yet be implemented.

Note that it may not matter to the GA members if a post to the GA list has 40
cc's, some to other ICANN lists.  But it can be a major annoyance to those
being cc'd.

That is, if activity on the GA list is polluting other lists and mailboxes of
individuals, then controls will have to be put on the GA list, regardless of
whether it bothers members of the GA list.

> (although I note some cultures use the tail in metaphor like Americans use
> the shadow -- My Viet wife says I am her tail ???)
>
> Let it be known I have no intention of enforcing compliance regarding any
> restrictions on cross posting until someone has a good reason otherwise.  I
> note that here it always gets thrown in as a pile on complaint that no one
> has ever heard or seen.

Sorry, that isn't true.  It's a long-standing real complaint.

Kent