RE: [ga] defining a problem...

  • To: "'Karl Auerbach'" <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] defining a problem...
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 14:01:03 +0200

Karl,

> I am more likely to ask:
>
> Why do we need registrars at all?  If a new TLD comes along
> and wants to operate without registrars then why should it be
> denied the right to shape its sales channels as it sees fit?

The separation was introduced to force competition on .com. In the
beginning, NetSol was integrating the registry and registrar function, being
a monopoly on what was the most important domain name resource. The idea was
to generate competition by splitting the registry and registrar function,
and open the registrar business to competition. The result was a dramatic
fall in the price of a .com domain name, and the creation of a large number
of registrars in the market, with different business models, that we see
today.
In order not to create differences among different TLDs, that was adopted as
the general model for the market. Now that the situation has evolved, the
Board is reconsidering that choice. We need to check whether that rule, that
years ago helped in opening the market, is not becoming an unnecessary
limitation. A snapshot of this debate can be seen in the minutes of the
latest teleconference
(http://www.icann.org/minutes/prelim-report-27mar08.htm), item #4, "Update
Discussion on New gTLDs".

Cheers,