Re: [ga] defining a problem...

  • To: debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] defining a problem...
  • From: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 17:23:20 -0700

Debbie Garside wrote:
Karl wrote:
> Is this all about registrars' rights and profitability, or is this a
list for the general assembly to discuss end user rights and responsibilities? Why is all we talk about related to registrar profitability and not simple proper operation of the registration system for the end registrants?

Uh, I didn't write (or ask) that.

I am more likely to ask:

Why do we need registrars at all? If a new TLD comes along and wants to operate without registrars then why should it be denied the right to shape its sales channels as it sees fit? (Take a look at my plan for .ewe - http://www.cavebear.com/cbblog-archives/000159.html for an example of an approach that would not use registrars.)

(And if you say that it must use registrars, then I'd ask - what legal authority is there that permits ICANN to do this?)

(And if you were to argue that registrars are some sort of consumer protection I'd ask who made ICANN a consumer protection regulatory body and imbued it with the power to say "no" to lawful activities?)

                --karl--