RE: [ga] domain tasting comments

  • To: "Karl Auerbach" <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] domain tasting comments
  • From: "Nevett, Jonathon" <jnevett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 22:31:32 -0400

Karl:

The factual problem with your theory is that there is no requirement in
the RAA for registrars to provide registrants with a 5 day grace period.
Therefore, there is no such requirement for registrars to breach or for
ICANN to enforce.

Many registrars do provide a grace period to their customers who may
make a mistake because it is a competitive marketplace and good customer
service to do so.  I doubt that many folks on this list would want a
provision that requires a registrar to provide a 5 day grace period to
consumers, as that would mean that all the tasters would be permitted to
register names at any registrar and that registrar would be required to
refund fees paid by the tasters.  In other words, requiring registrars
to provide the AGP would help enable tasting, but not help individual
consumers who make a legitimate mistake, as they already are protected
by the competitive marketplace.

Thanks.

Jon