Re: [ga] Re: Proposal: Establishing a Registrant Advisory Committee

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Re: Proposal: Establishing a Registrant Advisory Committee
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 08:07:39 -0800

Danny and all,

  I cannot see any reason why a "Fully-Fledged"
Independent Registrant Constituency cannot or
in fact should not be populated with both commercial
AND non-commercial registrants.  To divide by
structure is to defeat all and/or centralize power and
influence in but a few.  That's not representative.
What the GNSO is now does not represent the
vast majority of Registrants or other non registrant
stakeholders, and never has.

  Frankly IMO, the GA could stand as such a
constituency now, but would need to be recognized
as such and have voting power and the majority of
seats in the GNSO council as well as on the Board.
This scares the hell our of the other Constituencies
and the ICANN Board whom is overly influenced by
the IPC and Business constituency today, and has been
for sense the very onset of the GNSO.

Danny Younger wrote:

> Dominik,
>
> I understand that you seek a "fully-fledged Registrant
> Constituency with all the voting power".  Such a
> proposition is not incompatible with the establishment
> of an Advisory Committee.
>
> For example, ICANN has an At-Large Advisory Committee
> (ALAC) populated by representatives from noncommercial
> organizations.  The activities of the ALAC are not
> necessarily at odds with the activities of the
> representatives of other non-commercial organizations
> (the NCUC) within the GNSO.
>
> This is not an either-or proposition.  A Registrant
> Advisory Committee may readily function alongside a
> GNSO Registrant Constituency -- of course, under the
> new GNSO Improvements paradigm, you will need to
> decide whether to create a Commercial Registrants
> Constituency or a Noncommercial Registrants
> Constituency or both.
>
> best wishes,
> Danny
>
> --- Dominik Filipp <dominik.filipp@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Danny,
> >
> > I do not agree. Creating an Advisory Committee
> > without voting power
> > makes no sense to me at all. It would just be yet
> > another toothless
> > voice lost among many others incapable of
> > influencing final decisions.
> > Registrants/stakeholders must gain full support and
> > respect within ICANN
> > they truly deserve.
> >
> > Dominik

> Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 277k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827