RE: Fwd: [ga] Public Comments Requested on DNS Stability: The Effect of New gTLDs on ,the Internet Domain Name System

  • To: "Karl Auerbach" <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Christopher Anderson" <significants@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Fwd: [ga] Public Comments Requested on DNS Stability: The Effect of New gTLDs on ,the Internet Domain Name System
  • From: "Dominik Filipp" <dominik.filipp@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 09:39:01 +0100

Karl,

though not making practical sense, considering file extensions as TLDs
does not cause any technical problem whatsoever. It is perfectly valid.
File extensions follow file (or directory) names delimited by dot, which
in turn follow domain name delimited by slash. It is therefore the first
slash delimiter (except the very first double-slash protocol delimiter,
of course) that unequivocally denotes the file (or query) part of URL. A
dot-string .SOMETHING before the first slash always resolves to a domain
name URL part whereas dot-strings after the first slash resolve to
non-domain URL parts, such as file or directory extensions, query
substrings, specific parameters, etc.

Just a technical note on the topic...

Dominik