Re: Fwd: [ga] Public Comments Requested on DNS Stability: The Effect of New gTLDs on ,the Internet Domain Name System

  • To: Christopher Anderson <significants@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Fwd: [ga] Public Comments Requested on DNS Stability: The Effect of New gTLDs on ,the Internet Domain Name System
  • From: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 17:12:02 -0800

Christopher Anderson wrote:
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Christopher Anderson <significants@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Feb 8, 2008 8:33 AM
Subject: Re: [ga] Public Comments Requested on DNS Stability: The
Effect of New gTLDs on ,the Internet Domain Name System
To: "GNSO.SECRETARIAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

One of the policy recommendations developed in relation to
the introduction of new gTLDs included the requirement that "Strings
must not cause any technical instability."

(my translation of "technical instability" reads: ...

There has been talk about things like a .exe TLD - that might confuse certain software on certain operating systems to be confused into thinking that the named thing is somehow an executable file.

Of course that same exact issue exists on that same software for names ending in .com as well.

Hmmm, maybe I'll start up the ".htm", ."html", and ".php" top level domains and register "index.htm", "index.html", and "index.php" to myself. .... ;-) That'll learn people to properly end their URL's with a slash.

                --karl--