Re: [ga] .et wildcarded

  • To: Joe Baptista <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] .et wildcarded
  • From: JFC Morfin <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 15:25:47 +0100

At 08:51 20/11/2007, Joe Baptista wrote:
George Kirikos wrote:
Hello,
--- Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 On 18-Nov-07, at 9:17 PM, Joe Baptista wrote:
Wildcards in fact are a good thing from the dns perspective. They reduce overall traffic to the zone.
That's ridiculous.
Who says reducing traffic to the zone is a good thing?
Alt-roots must represent perfection by that standard, as they get zero traffic. ;)
I don't think you understand whats happeningin the big wide world.
alt-roots do not get zero traffic. Today there are 50 million people in china alone using the china MII root system. Then we have the arabic domain consortium, i-dns, and of course the HEX experiment in europe I participated in. These roots end up generating alot of error traffic to other roots. Just look at what the error rate was at the root servers back in 2003.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/02/05/dud_queries_swamp_us_internet/

a good portoin of the error traffic was due to alt roots. and back then they were a small footprint. Today that traffic has increased exponetially at the root servers. Which explain probably why we don't have any root analysis since I broke the story years ago.

Dear Joe,
what worries me most, about all the ISP/Registrars not understanding the way the naming system/usage work, is that they are unable to anticipate on what may happen any time (due to a Draft, a move of M$, a Government, a wizz-kid, my learning of Windows, their competition, etc.) and to confuse it with a wrong alternative (alt-roots). The remark is also valid and the same for alt-root people.

The future is not among roots, but the end of the root concept. Reality is TLD forests. Registrars and ISPs are totally unprepared and ready to lose their customers to other more informed. What is amazing is that ICANN documented it and asked them to test the situation years ago (ICP-3). No one cares: I think I am alone having followed the advice of ICANN and respected its test-bed protocol (and I am continuing).

Very odd.
jfc

regards
joe baptista